Trouble logging into the PSN on new PS4

TonyAZ

Just got a new PS4 (I know it is old, but it should suit my needs if I can get it to work). Every time I try to log into the PSN the page that says "scan the QR code / sign in manually / create an account" appears for a fraction of a second (too quick to do anything with it), immediately disappears, and then shows the following error message: "An error has occurred." See photos below for these two screens.

I've updated the software (says I have latest version)... made sure it is connected to the internet (have tried both wired and wireless with no luck)... checked the PSN status (shows working)... can connect to multiple other websites using the system... reset and tried all of the above all over again... and more, but still no luck.

Also, my email and password for the PSN are working on my PS3, and when I log in on multiple computers and my phone.

Here is a photo of the screen that shows for a fraction of a second (it is so fast it took several tries to get this photo):

New item by Anthony Roberto

And here is a photo of the page that appears immediacy after:

New item by Anthony Roberto

I've read everything I can and watched all the videos I could find online, but no luck (they all assume you have access to the login page -- or a place to enter your email and password... but I don't). Any thoughts on how to fix this would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Hi Tony,

Did you ever get any resolution to this problem?
I have EXACTLY the same issue for my daughter's account on my PS4. My user is fine - her's not :(

Thanks

Steve.

Also having exact same problem, have tryed everything and nothing seems to work, did either of yous have any luck solving this issue? Thanks

Unfortunately, not :(

Here are some details of what I've tried - maybe save you the effort, or give you an idea.
Via PSN chat, they suggested creating a new user. Obviously, if you try to connect to same PSN account it says there is a user already with this account on the PS4. They said to delete the existing one. I said that will lose the saved progress - they said yeah, basically that's how it is.

I backed up the PS4, then got a brand new SSD, rebuilt a clean PS4 setup, and created a new user, with my daughter's PSN account. That worked, and linked ok, but obviously, that had no saves. I was hoping it would 'clear the blockage'...
Switched the PS4 to the old drive, and attempted to log in on the original user - didn't change the problem :(
Went back to new drive (are you still with me?), and used the new user to change the email address for the PSN account, hoping that on return to the old drive, the lack of the right email address would trip the system to prompt for sign in details again.
Back to the old drive - still didn't work.

This leads me to conclude that the issue isn't within the PSN account, but that the failure is within the configuration of the local user.
Rebuilt the database on the old drive to see if that helped...
You guessed it - no change.

I've now calculated that the time spent attempting to fix this, we could have played through Broken Age, and most of Overcooked 1 & 2, which is pretty much all that matters.

If any of this sparks more things I can try, please let me know!

Steve.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, sorry to hear you haven't been able to fix the issue, the problem I'm having is a little bit different as I have just gotten this ps4 from a family member and it has been initialized back to factory settings so there is no psn account linked to the PlayStation, now when I attempt to login/add my psn account to the PlayStation it just gives me the "an error has occurred" message without even letting me get to the stage where I enter my login details so pretty much rendering the PlayStation useless, I have also tryed everything from initializing ps4 multiple times, rebuilding database, new ssd with latest firmware installed via USB, still the problem persists on the new hard drive it seems nothing will fix the issue which leads me to beleive that it's a problem that only sony can fix if they choose to do so which unfortunately they don't seem to want to, I have been in contact with them through phone/live chat and email and all have been totally useless just regurgitating the same bulls$it even when i thoroughly explain that i have tryed everything, anyway there last option is for me ro send the ps4vto them for a service which will cost £125-175 🤣. I think I will upgrade soon buy unfortunately it definitely won't be a ps5, sony are just of no help and obviously don't value there customers. Anyway cheers again for the reply and I hope you get your issue sorted ✌️

Back