PS5 I was told to call PlayStation Support. I am deaf. What am I supposed to do?

S_Ravenfyre

From
Jolly Ol' England
Hello!

First of all, I am aware this is a fan forum, not an official one.

I purchased a PS5 from Playstation Direct early June. Over a month later, the console (not my PSN account) is suspended with error code "WS-116332-6".
Considering I have only been using my console to watch Netflix & Prime, and play an offline game (Skyrim), I am very confused as to what could lead to such a random suspension. Unless it's now against Sony's Terms of Use to watch Sweet Tooth on Netflix. :LOL:

I recently contacted Playstation Support via their live chat on their official website (How to contact PlayStation Support), and was told that for my particular issue I need to call them, because they need to "speak to me before we can look into this".
However, the problem with this is that I am deaf. I rely on subtitles and lipreading. Therefore, I do not and cannot use a telephone.

I tried to explain this to the support agent. However, within seconds of telling him this, he abruptly ended the chat session, leaving me completely in the dark about what to do now.

To be honest, I am also feeling a little upset that I was brushed off immediately as soon as I said that I am deaf and therefore cannot use a telephone. In my country, under a law called the Equality Act 2010, a company is legally required to offer alternate services to those with disabilities, so that they have equal opportunity and access to those without disabilities, and I feel Playstation has not only failed to do this, but has also broken the law.

Is anyone aware how a deaf person is supposed to be able to "call" Playstation in order to get this kind of problem - Error Code WS-116332-6, resolved, please?

Thank you for your time, I appreciate it.

While I can understand that they need to speak with the account owner it is despicable that after you told them you are deaf that they disconnected the call rather than pointing you towards a more accessible option.
Is the account temporarily or permanently suspended or is the PS banned? If temporary then you’ll automatically be unbanned after then time period has elapsed.

I can only find this:
Suspension status: PlayStation Support Hopefully it’ll tell you if the suspension is temporary or permanent.

Hello @Anankha, pleased to e-meet you. I appreciate your reply.

I also understand why they would need to speak to account owners, of course. But they should really have an alternate system in place for those who have accessibility issues. Or their support staff need to be properly trained in disability awareness. Both of my banks, for instance, have a relay service for their deaf customers.

After my negative experience, I left some feedback about it in their customer support feedback form. Checking my emails today after work, I have found that someone who appears to be a manager at PlayStation contacted me about my feedback to apologise for the experience I had, and offered me alternative options of contact. Which, of course, I am pleased about.

The support team is closed right now as it is after 7pm UK time. But I will reach out to them again on Monday. We'll see how it goes!

To answer your question, the suspension is against the console itself. Which, as far as I am aware (according to Google, anyway), happens usually when a) the console is stolen, or b) you have unpaid debts to PlayStation. Neither of which applies to me.
The link you provided seems to only inform you of PSN account suspensions rather than console suspensions.

I greatly appreciate your answer.

Nice to e-meet you too.
I agree they really need to improve. Hopefully they’ll add accessibility options to their support options.

Was the console purchased new from a store or pre-owned?

It was purchased brand new from their official Playstation Direct store.

Just to be sure, I double-checked the box when it was delivered to make sure it hadn't already been opened (mostly because of those news stories of PS consoles being replaced with bricks :rolleyes:) , which it didn't seem to be.

Back