PS4 maxes out at 100mbps Not gigabit

Iamthecount

Something really strange is that I have gigabyte coming to the home. I’ve tested the speed and it is about 980 Mb per second, so it’s very reliable on all devices but my PS4 for some reason Max is out around 100 to 125 Mb per second, when I do the speed test Tested cables. I’ve tested the exact cable with another device and for some reason it will only show around this 100 odd speed?

Hi there,

Check to see if your router is set to 5GHz band (what you want for high speeds)instead of 2.4 GHz band.

Let us know if this helps.

This would be a setting to change directly inside your router itself, as some devices cannot be found on a 2.4GHz band, but can be found on a 5GHz Band. It's woth double checking to be sure, your internet service provider can help you more with this by the way, I recommend contacting them. When I had a speed limit issue on my 2nd router, my internet service provider technical team managed to fix the issue for me.

A ethernet repair job could cost between £70-£100, websites like console doctor offer a free estimate on the problem, if that is something to consider.

If you can get your hands on another ps4, maybe a friend or family member, you can swap and test the console to see if the other console can reach 1000mb, then you would know for sure it is a faulty ethernet port on your original console.

have just tried another one and its the same? Really odd as all devices other than PS4s get gigabit? Is it giving me a false reading when its testing do you think?

Back